Tuesday, June 21, 2022

"Forget Me Not" - Human Library Event

"Forget Me Not” – Human Library Event

Have you ever found yourself gazing at a stranger and thinking "if I could read your mind, what a tale your thoughts would tell"? There is a rich collection of stories in each of us and ABPL is celebrating our community stories by hosting a human library event. This will be a chance for people to loan out people as "books" and discover their stories. To find out more information about human libraries visit https://www.humanlibraryaus.org


As part of dementia action week our "books" will be people in the early stages of dementia. The event aims to educate people about dementia, challenge our preconceived notions of this condition, and learn every day acts of kindness that make a meaningful difference for this marginalised group. To learn more about dementia visit https://www.dementia.org.au



Event date: 3 September 2022 and 4 September 2022

Event times: 11 am to 4 pm

Event location: Azure Beach Public library (Open space seating areas)



CLICK HERE FOR BOOKINGS

(Please note bookings secure 30 minute time slots)



Meet Our "Books"


We advise patrons that our books have been de-identified for privacy reasons.


Manjula

"Cooking was my passion, but these days I can get confused, I can still cook but I just need a little help..."









George




"I used to be a nurse, but lately I spend a lot of time gardening. Sometimes I'll see strange creatures visiting me in my garden…"








Muhammad


"I was heartbroken when I lost my ability to read. But I'm lucky because my partner makes time to read to me. It's like going on a tiny adventure with him…"











Akari


"It was hard accepting all the help at first. But I'm realising more and more that care-work shouldn't be an individual burden. It's a collective responsibility. I personally feel so joyful when I get to help somebody…"









No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk Together|Human Library| Harmnony Week

                .                                     .   .     This Wednesday on the 20th of March during Harmony week at 3:00pm Azure Beac...